Face Shield Cleaning Instructions
The face shields are intended for either single or multiple uses by a single individual. According to CDC guidelines, face shields should be cleaned and disinfected “whenever it is visibly soiled or removed (e.g. when leaving the isolation area) prior to putting it back on.” The CDC’s Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of Eye Protection recommends the following cleaning and disinfecting protocol for face shields and goggles:
1. While wearing gloves, carefully wipe the inside, followed by the outside of the face shield or goggles using a clean cloth saturated with neutral detergent solution or cleaner wipe.
2. Carefully wipe the outside of the face shield or goggles using a wipe or clean cloth saturated with EPA-registered hospital disinfectant solution.
3. Wipe the outside of face shield or goggles with clean water or alcohol to remove residue.
4. Fully dry (air dry or use clean absorbent towels).
5. Remove gloves and perform hand hygiene.